How to optimize this SQL query?
In case you have your own slow SQL query, you can optimize it automatically here.
For the query above, the following recommendations will be helpful as part of the SQL tuning process.
You'll find 3 sections below:
- Description of the steps you can take to speed up the query.
- The optimal indexes for this query, which you can copy and create in your database.
- An automatically re-written query you can copy and execute in your database.
The optimization process and recommendations:
- Avoid Selecting Unnecessary Columns (query line: 2): Avoid selecting all columns with the '*' wildcard, unless you intend to use them all. Selecting redundant columns may result in unnecessary performance degradation.
- Avoid Subselect When Selecting MAX/MIN Per Group (query line: 14): Constant subquery results are usually not cached by the database, especially in non-recent database versions. Therefore, a constant subquery in a WHERE clause will be fully evaluated for every row the WHERE clause will examine, which can significantly impact query performance. Use the method mentioned in the example instead.
- Create Optimal Indexes (modified query below): The recommended indexes are an integral part of this optimization effort and should be created before testing the execution duration of the optimized query.
Optimal indexes for this query:
CREATE INDEX devices_idx_notify_userid_ostype ON Devices (Notify,UserId,OSType);
CREATE INDEX trackerlocations_idx_receivedtime_trackerid ON TrackerLocations (ReceivedTime,TrackerId);
CREATE INDEX trackers_idx_trackerid ON Trackers (TrackerId);
The optimized query:
TrackerLocations AS TrackerLocations1
ON TrackerLocations1.TrackerId = t.TrackerId
ON t.UserId = d.UserId
TrackerLocations AS TrackerLocations2
TrackerLocations2.TrackerId = TrackerLocations1.TrackerId
TrackerLocations1.ReceivedTime < TrackerLocations2.ReceivedTime
1 = 1
AND TrackerLocations1.ReceivedTime >= DATEADD(MINUTE, -2, GETUTCDATE())
AND d.OSType <> 3
AND d.Notify = 1
TrackerLocations2.ReceivedTime IS NULL