How to optimize this SQL query?
In case you have your own slow SQL query, you can optimize it automatically here.
For the query above, the following recommendations will be helpful as part of the SQL tuning process.
You'll find 3 sections below:
- Description of the steps you can take to speed up the query.
- The optimal indexes for this query, which you can copy and create in your database.
- An automatically re-written query you can copy and execute in your database.
The optimization process and recommendations:
- Avoid Using Date Functions In Conditions (query line: 6): When a function is used directly on an indexed column, the database's optimizer won’t be able to use the index. An alternative way is to use a range condition instead of a function call.
- Create Optimal Indexes (modified query below): The recommended indexes are an integral part of this optimization effort and should be created before testing the execution duration of the optimized query.
Optimal indexes for this query:
CREATE INDEX employee_idx_doj ON Employee (DOJ);
The optimized query:
Employee.DOJ BETWEEN '2018-01-01 00:00:00' AND '2018-12-31 23:59:59'